The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) West Valley Site Management Program (WVSMP) is seeking an experienced technical professional to join NYSERDA’s team at the Western New York Nuclear Service Center in northern Cattaraugus County, New York.
This individual will be responsible for supporting NYSERDA’s participation in the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) West Valley Demonstration Project (WVDP), a joint federal-state decommissioning and radioactive waste cleanup project. This position reports to NYSERDA’s WVDP and End-State Planning Program Manager and will involve on-site observation, monitoring, inspection and oversight of WVDP work activities.
The Project Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- provide direct observation, inspection, monitoring, oversight and reporting of WVDP work activities, including (but limited to) facility demolition activities, soil excavation and waste packaging;
- provide subject matter expert reviews of plans, procedures, work packages and radiological and chemical safety work control documents for decommissioning, deactivation and demolition activities;
- prepare written reports and otherwise keep management fully apprised of WVDP activities, including contractor performance related to safety, regulatory compliance, cost and schedule;
- prepare MS-Project or Primavera P6 schedules and assist other staff in the preparation of integrated project schedules;
- represent NYSERDA at meetings with DOE, the site contractor, regulatory agencies, members of the public and other stakeholders;
- contribute to a positive team environment, a culture of excellence and creative problem solving; and,
- perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, health physics or industrial safety plus 5 years of relevant experience (i.e., work at the WVDP or a similar nuclear facility, including decommissioning experience, radioactive material management or radioactive waste management) or an unrelated Bachelor’s or Master’s degree plus 7 years relevant experience (work at the WVDP or a similar nuclear facility, including decommissioning experience, radioactive material management or radioactive waste management);
- strong analytical skills including a demonstrated ability to effectively organize and evaluate quantitative information, draw conclusions and make recommendations or decisions;
- strong organizational, planning and scheduling abilities with demonstrated proficiency in MS-Project or Primavera P6;
- strong work ethic and resolute integrity;
- strong written and verbal communication abilities and interpersonal skills;
- knowledge of U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) regulations or DOE Orders and policies; and,
- ability to work effectively outdoors in inclement weather conditions and safely negotiate unpaved walking surfaces, moderately steep slopes and uneven terrain.
Candidates will be considered for Project Manager through Senior Project Manager based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
In order to apply for the open position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include Project Manager, WVDP and Job Code 473 in the Subject Line.
For additional information, please contact Alyse Peterson, Senior Project Manager for Radiactive Waste Policy & Nuclear Coordination, NYSERDA, at (518) 862-1090 ext. 3274 or at email@example.com.