On September 13, 2018, the Utah Waste Management and Radiation Control Board (Board) held a regularly scheduled meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. The meeting was open to the public.
The following items, among others, was on the agenda for the Board meeting:
- Call to Order
- Approval of Meeting Minutes for the July 12, 2018 Board Meeting (Board Action Item)
III. Approval of Meeting Minutes for the August 30, 2018 special Board Meeting (Board Action Item)
- Presentation by Attorney General’s Office on Conflict of Interest
- Underground Storage Tanks Update
- Administrative Rules
- Approval of final adoption of proposed changes to the Used Oil Rules R315-15-16, Grants, to provide additional clarity and more detailed direction regarding the grant application, grant issuance, implementation and reimbursement processes (Board Action Item)
- Approval of final adoption of proposed changes to the Hazardous Waste Rules R315-260, Hazardous Waste Management System, and R315-261, General Requirements – Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste, to incorporate federal regulatory changes promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and published in the Federal Register on May 30, 2018 at 83 Federal Register 24,664 (Board Action Item)
- Approval to proceed with formal rulemaking and public comment on proposed changes to Solid Waste Rules R315-301 to add a new sub-section (R315-301-7) to establish self-inspection requirements in accordance with Section 19-6-109 of the Solid and Hazardous Waste Act (Board Action Item)
VII. Hazardous Waste Section
- Approval of proposed Stipulation and Consent Order between the Board and Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District (Board Action Item)
VIII. Low-Level Radioactive Waste Section
- EnergySolutions request for a site-specific treatment variance from the Hazardous Waste Management Rules – EnergySolutions seeks authorization to treat waste contaminated with dioxins and furans by macroencapsulation rather than by chemical means (Board Action Item)
- EnergySolutions request for an exemption from R313-25-9(5) of the Utah Administrative Code (Information Item Only)
- EnergySolutions presentation
- Heal Utah presentation in response to EnergySolutions’ request for an exemption from R313-25-9(5) of the Utah Administrative Code
- Other Business
- Miscellaneous Information Items
- Scheduling of Next Board Meeting
The Board — which is appointed by the Utah Governor with the consent of the Utah Senate — guides development of Radiation Control policy and rules in the state. The Board holds open meetings ten times per year at locations throughout the state. A public comment session is held at the end of each meeting.
Copies of the Utah Waste Management and Radiation Control Board meeting agendas and packet information can be found at http://www.deq.utah.gov/boards/waste/meetings.htm.
For additional information, please contact Rusty Lundberg, Deputy Director of the Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control at the Utah Department of Environmental Quality, at (801) 536-4257 or at email@example.com.